It’s zucchini season here. Zucchinis are one of those vegetables I can take or leave. They taste rather bland and (to my mind) need something added to them to make them tasty. Despite my ambivalence about eating zucchinis, Country Boy is enthusiastic about growing them. Probably because they just grow so darn well. It’s not unusual for Country Boy to bring in 8 or 10 every other day. What’s worse is that if you accidentally leave a zucchini on the plant for 24 hours too long, they explode in to gigantic freak show vegetables. Suddenly one giant zucchini is enough to feed the family for a week!
I’m always on the look out for new ways to use of the annual zucchini glut, so I tried combining zucchini with some feta we had in the fridge, and some mint from the garden. They turned out beautifully. If you’re after another tasty way to use up your zucchinis, try these parmesan crusted zucchinis, which are another fave around here.
- 500g zucchini
- 3T chopped chives or scallions
- 125g feta cheese
- ¼ c chopped mint
- 1 chilli finely chopped (optional)
- ¾c flour
- 5 eggs
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- Grate or finely shred the zucchini.
- Finely dice the feta cheese
- Add the zucchini, chives, feta, mint, chilli, and flour to a bowl. Stir gently to combine.
- Add the eggs, salt, and pepper and stir until evenly mixed.
- Heat a fry pan on medium.
- Add a little oil to the pan.
- Fry spoonfuls of mixture, flipping once one side is golden.
- Once the fritters are cooked through, drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce.
Got any other good ways to use up zucchinis?