After the beautiful warm weather of last week, we are back into the bleak cold of winter. It did give us a taste of the coming spring though, and I can’t wait. I am already looking forward to eating outside (much less mess on the floor!) and loads of salads and bbq’s.
In the meantime I made the worlds easiest comfort food for dinner. It’s also a family favourite. I love the fact that it takes about 10 minutes to get into the oven, and then you just leave it until you are ready to serve.
I first came across the recipe at work, but I just remember the ingredients and not the quantities.
Here is how I make it.
4 Lamb shanks
2T Plain flour
3 Garlic cloves – sliced
1/2 bottle of red wine
750ml Beef stock
1 jar cranberry sauce
6 sprigs rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 150 *c.
- In a large pan heat oil and butter.
- Toss lamb shanks in flour to coat.
- Brown lamb shanks in oil and butter.
- Add garlic and allow to soften for a minute.
- Deglaze with wine.
- Add in beef stock, cranberry sauce and rosemary.
- Cover and place in the oven for approx. 3 hours or until the meat is tender. Turn once or twice.
I served it with mashed potato, peas, and carrots, but I some time serve with sweet potato mash and green beans, which looks amazing (and tastes great too). The Country Boy doesn’t like sweet potato, and since he is so great and accommodating everywhere else in our lives, I accommodated his dislike of sweet potato.