The summer harvest has started, and I’m once again the proud owner of oversized zucchinis. Seriously, you only have to miss them in the garden for a day and suddenly you have more than you can possibly need. Zucchinis are a vegetable I can take or leave. They are great for bulking out mince, but they are fairly bland on their own. They are, however, incredibly easy to grow, Hence our glut.
I’ve already made zucchini fritters, zucchini slice, and baked zucchini when I saw the idea of making zucchini tots (like potato tots) on the internet. Intrigued, I gave it a go. The kids absolutely went mad for them, and went back for seconds and thirds, and have requested I make them again soon, which I take as a good sign. They were pretty tasty.
Our zucchinis are yellow, but you could make these with green zucchinis and you would just have little green flecks through them. Still delicious.
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- ¾ c grated cheddar
- ¼c grated parmesan
- 1t garlic salt
- 1t mixed herbs
- ¾c bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 210*c
- Place the grated zucchini in a clean dry tea towel, and squeeze out the excess moisture. You need to do this if you want your tots to be crispy.
- Mix all ingredients together to form a wet dough consistency
- Dampen your hands and roll small spoonfuls of the mixture.
- Place the balls on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Press the balls down slightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and crispy.
We’re all back to work and school this week, so meal planning and easy dinners are on the agenda as we get back into the swing of being organised. These will definitely be making an appearance one night!
The produce from our garden is starting to pour in. Hit me with all your good veggie recipes!