We arrived back from Magic Beach to find four zucchinis sitting on our kitchen bench, put there by my lovely mother in law who had looked after our garden while we were away. I inwardly groaned because I just know that it is the start a few months of being innundated with zucchinis, squash, tomatoes, and cucumber (just to name a few). It’s not that I don’t like zucchinis. The first 30 or so are fantastic. Unfortunately, as regular readers of this blog will know, our garden doesn’t produce just 30 zucchinis. No due to Country Boy’s enthusiasm for gardening, we are more likely to have 30 zucchinis each day. I wish I were joking.
We do sell some of our extra vegetables in the village, but I still struggle to find interesting things to make with them all. This year I am determined to make some new tastier dishes from all our vegetables. I will be hitting pinterest with a vengence.
In the mean time, I whipped up these little treats for dinner. They were wolfed down by the kids, so I suggest that I am on to a winner.
Parmesan Crusted Baked Zucchini
Author: Jo @ Country Life Experiment
Recipe type: Vegetable
- 6 regular zucchinis (or 3 monsters if that is what you have on hand).
- 50g parmesan cheese
- 2t dried mixed herbs
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1t fresh thyme leaves (use dried if you don't have any).
- salt and pepper
- Spray oil
- Preheat the oven to 190*c
- Finely grate the parmesan cheese.
- Place the parmesan cheese in a tray with the mixed herbs, cayenne pepper, thyme leaves, and some salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Quarter the zucchinis length ways (into long batons approx 1.5 -2cm thick)
- Place a wire rack over a baking dish.
- Spray the zucchini lightly with oil.
- Roll the zucchini in the parmesan mix, so that it gets well coated. Press it well to help it stick.
- Place each parmesan stick onto the wire rack
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese has gone golden and crisp.
Got any good zucchini recipes? Do share please!