6 large egg whites (at room temperature)
300g (1 1/2c castor sugar)
3t balsamic vinegar
50g dark chocolate – grated
600ml thickened cream
500g raspberries (frozen is ok if you can;t get fresh)
50g chocolate – extra for decorating
1. Preheat the oven to 150*c
2. In a clean bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff and shiny.
3. Gradually add the castor sugar while beating, until all the sugar is combined.
4. Stir through the balsamic vinegar.
5. Sift in the cocoa and then gently fold through together with the grated chocolate.
6. Tear 3 sheets of baking paper and draw a 20cm circle on each.
7. Turn the baking paper over and place each on a baking tray.
8. Divide the mixture equally between the 3 sheets and spread to the edges of the circle. This will make sure that all 3 layers are the same size.
9. Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
10. Turn off the oven, and open the door slightly to allow to cool. (You can store the meringues once cool for a few days).
11. Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
12. Place one of the meringue disks on to a plate (use a little cream underneath to stop it from sliding around), and then pour a third of the cream on top.
13. Scatter some of the raspberries over the cream.
14. Place a second meringue disk on top, and repeat with the cream and raspberries.
15. Place the final meringue disk on the top.
16. Finish with a final layer of cream and raspberries,
17. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the extra chocolate over the top.
I’ve been thinking about menus for the Christmas period, and I’m definitely popping this on the menu again this year.