Broad Beans on Toast
3 cups of broad beans out of the pod
200g of bacon (ours is home made and we don’t use anything to keep it pink like in commercial bacon, which is why it is brown in the picture).
2T oil – we use olive oil
salt and pepper
1 loaf of crusty bread – sliced and toasted to serve.
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
2. Boil the broad beans for about 3 or 4 minutes.
3. Drain and allow to cool slightly.
4. Pull the skin off the larger beans (they are very chewy), but leave the smaller ones with the skin on.
5. Finely slice the leek and roughly dice the bacon.
6. Heat the oil in a fry pan and fry the bacon. Do not drain the fat away.
7. Add in the leek and cook for several minutes until the leek is soft and translucent.
8. Toss through the skinned broad beans, together with a good squeeze of lemon and some salt and pepper.
9. Serve on top of a slice of toasted crusty bread and drizzle with a little more oil if needed.
Gobble greedily because it is sooooo yummy.
Got anymore ideas for broadbeans? Do you love River Cottage too??