A few weeks ago, I made creamed rice with my students. I was surprised how few of them had ever even tasted it before, but it was very popular. Because of the limited time that I have in lessons (one hour – less time to set up and clean up), I always use a cheaty version where I precook the rice. Of course cooking it super slowly makes it even creamier, but I don’t have the luxury of time.
On Sunday I had a temporary brain explosion, and boiled way too much rice, so it seemed appropriate to make some creamed rice with the left overs.
- 2c cooked rice
- 1x 375ml can evaporated milk
- 2T sugar
- 1t vanilla bean paste (use vanilla essence if you don't have it)
- 2 whole cloves
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Heat gently, stirring often until the mixture becomes creamy and absorbs most of the evaporated milk. If it is too hot, the bottom of the saucepan will catch and burn.
- Remove the whole cloves
- Serve with stewed fruit - I had some quinces that I had cooked up in a pot on top of our fire for a couple of hours.
Do you love creamed rice? Got any other ideas for when you cook too much rice??