It’s been so hot lately that we just haven’t felt like cooking. Dinners have been salads, and more salads. On Saturday, we finally got a bit of much needed rain, and with it came cooler weather. Cooler weather means cooking weather. So we started by boiling up a whole lot of tomatoes to make passata. We followed that up with some caramelised onion, and pork ribs for dinner. The finale was Moussaka and passion fruit shortcake for church.
When I was a kid, mum used to whip up this yummy passion fruit shortcake whenever we had guests coming for the day, or when we had a special occasion coming up. I’ve been wanting to make it for ages because it reminds me of when I was a kid. It was every bit a good as I remember!
- 250g butter - softened
- 500g S.R. flour
- 250g raw sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 30 g butter
- pulp from 1-2 passion fruit.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Mix in flour.
- Add egg and mix to form sticky crumbs.
- Press into two 22 cm greased, lined round tins.
- Bake 40 min at 180 degrees C.
- Allow to cool.
- For the filling
- Beat icing sugar, butter, and passionfruit pulp
- Spread the passion fruit cream between the layers of shortcake.
- Dust with icing sugar.