Like nearly every other vegetable we grow, we currently have more beetroot than we can eat. Country Boy can’t help himself, and always plants way more than we need. He tells me that he has to plant more in case they don’t all grow, and I humour him.
A few weeks back Country Boy decided to have a go pickling some of the beetroot to use instead of canned beetroot over the next few months.
- 1kg beetroot
- 1½ c sugar
- 1litre of white vinegar
- 1t cinnamon
- 1t allspice
- 12 cloves
- 12 peppercorns
- 1t salt
- Boil the beetroot until tender.
- Peel and slice the beetroot (you may want to wear rubber gloves for this part).
- Place the sliced beetroot into sterilised jars.
- Place the remaining ingredients into a saucepan, bring to the boil, turn off and allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- Strain the vinegar and then pour over the beetroot slices. Make sure the beetroot is well covered.
- Seal with non corrosive lids
- Allow to stand for a few days before eating.