Part of my job is teaching older kids the skills needed to be a chef. There is lots of knife work, and practicing of basic skills. I’m always on the look out for recipes that are economical as well as those that contain as many different skills and ingredients as possible.
I’ve used this recipe for several years because the topping is quick and easy, so that the kids can spend time learning how to make pasta from scratch. At home though, I often make it with dried pasta.
500g pumpkin cut into 2cm cubes and roasted (will take about 15 minutes in a hot oven)
100g feta cheese
8 sun-dried tomatoes
a big handful of flat leaf parsley
60ml olive oil
1 packet of pasta (I use 400g of spaghetti)
1. Prepare the pasta according to the packet.
2. Crumble the Feta cheese into a large bowl.
3. Slice the sun-dried tomatoes into thin strips.
4. Roughly chop the parsley.
5. Zest the lemon.
6. Place the feta, sun-dried tomato, and lemon zest in a bowl, together with the roasted pumpkin.
7. When the pasta has cooked, drain and toss into the bowl.
8. Dress with the olive oil and a big squeeze of lemon juice. Season with pepper and a little salt.