My lovely brother in law is getting married soon to an equally lovely girl. We are so happy and excited for him, and I love seeing him so happy. Over the weekend, my in laws hosted a lunch to meet her parents and siblings before the big day. I volunteered to make a dessert (because I love dessert).
I deliberately over catered, so we would have some left overs (which Country Boy is very happy about). I made a triple choc and raspberry pavlova, and individual blueberry and lemon trifles.
I got the idea from the Christmas edition of Super Food Ideas and as always I altered it.
2 cans of blueberry (drained and syrup kept)
24 sponge fingers
1t vanilla extract
2T castor sugar
350g lemon curd (1 medium jar)
1. Take the syrup from the blueberries (about 1 1/3 cups), and heat in a saucepan over a low heat.
2. When hot, dissolve the gelatin into the syrup – stir until fully dissolved.
3. Allow the jelly to start to set (about an hour in the fridge).
4. Break a sponge finger in half and place in the bottom of each glass.
5. Stir half the blueberries into the semi set jelly, then spoon some over each of the sponge fingers in the glass. Allow to set a further hour.
6. In a bowl whip the cream with vanilla and sugar. Stir the lemon curd in to the cream so that it is streaked through.
7. Spoon or pipe a layer of cream/curd mix over the jelly (I always use a piping bag for this kind of thing because it is much neater.
8. Break a second sponge finger in half and place on top of the cream.
9. Spoon a small amount of blueberries over the sponge finger.
10. Finally top with some more cream/curd mix and sprinkle chopped pistachios over the top.
The weather was beautiful and warm, there was plenty of conversation, and lots of good food.
How did the desserts go?? Let’s just say that there wasn’t as many left over as I was hoping for!