Since our kids have been big enough to stand up on a chair without falling off, we have got them involved in preparing our food. The girls are enthusiastic assistants whenever we are cooking something. For Christmas this year, we gave Hannah a recipe book, so that she could start cooking by herself. So far we have had Cheesy Bacon Fries (Oven fried chips with cheese, bacon, sour cream and sweet chilli sauce – like a heart attack on a plate).
Since this triumph of salt and cholesterol, Hannah has been eager to have a go at making something else, so on Saturday we had French Toast for breakfast. Although it was nearly lunch by the time breakfast was served, it was delicious.
Ingredients (Makes 8 Slices)
1/2 c cream
1t orange zest
1 t cinnamon
8 slices of bread
2 punnets of berries
Maple syrup to serve
1. Combine eggs, cream, milk, orange zest, cinnamon, and honey in a bowl.
2. Heat a small amount of butter in a fry pan on medium.
3. Dip a slice of bread into the egg mix. Allow to soak for a minute then drain.
4. Fry on each side until golden.
5. Stop with berries and drizzle with maple syrup (you can also shake some icing sugar over if you prefer)
|Look how proud she is of herself, and I was proud of her too!|
I can honestly say that it was the best tasting french toast I have ever had. The subtle taste of the orange zest, cinnamon and honey were beautifully fragrant. The berries cut through the sweetness of the syrup perfectly. Here is something for breakfast on Saturday morning.