In my Hospitality class today, I was attempting to make chocolate mousse cups. They were meant to look like this:
The idea is that you dip a balloon or water bomb into the hot chocolate, and then gently let it down once the chocolate has set. Then you can spoon or pipe the mousse into the bowl…. well at least that is the idea. At this point I want to say, I have made them several times before and they have worked beautifully.
Not this time though!
I did one to demonstrate how to make the cup to my student, then each of the kids had a go. Unfortunately for some reason, the kids kept bursting the balloons… IN THE BOWL OF MELTED CHOCOLATE!! The chocolate literally erupted in a massive explosion. 6 TIMES!!! (Sorry for the raised voice).There was chocolate all over me; all over the kids; and all over the classroom.
Kids were wiping chocolate out of their ears!
We got cleaned up in the end, and got hold of some
more better balloons. It still didn’t go as well as it has in the past, but we made them. Sometimes, things just don’t work out – this was one of those days.
I need to go now, and scrub a large chocolate stain out of a white chef jacket, (who thought wearing white is a good idea for chefs?) and then wash my hair!