At work we have an agriculture department, complete with a couple of sheep, some chickens, plenty of space for some crops, and a few steers. The steers are always entered into a competition to see which school can raise the best steer in the “hoof and hook” competition. Agriculture is about producing food and resources for humans, not a petting zoos, and this is one of the realities of farm life.
- Heat oil in an oven proof pan and seal meat well.
- Remove from pan and set to one side
- Add onion, celery and carrot and cook for 2 minutes until softened and slightly caramelised
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more
- Add white wine, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf and thyme
- Return meat to pan and immerse in sauce
- Cover well and place in oven for approx 2 hours or until the meat is falling from the bones. Check seasoning and adjust.
- Serve with mash, or polenta